What can be done to keep schools safe while protecting rights to privacy and to keep and bear arms.
1. Implement metal detectors and scanning systems at the entrance of schools.
2. Develop and implement a clear policy on weapons and forms of protection.
3. Train staff in safety protocols and procedures for responding to threats.
4. Establish school safety teams to coordinate with local law enforcement.
5. Require all visitors to wear visible identification.
6. Ensure that all school entrances are secure and that all locks are functioning properly.
7. Install cameras in common areas of the school. 8. Encourage students to report any suspicious behavior or potential threats to a trusted adult.
9. Encourage parents to discuss gun safety with their children and discuss the consequences of bringing a weapon to school.
10. Provide mental health resources and support to students who may be struggling.