ELN Theory replied 14 years ago (Jan 18th 2010, 7:12:24 pm)
The Logical Leap from 'vast pool of energy' to 'consciousness' is not one simple step but begins with some kind of understanding that the universe holds many unknowns left for science to discover. If on the contrary you were to believe that science already knows and understands everything worth knowing and there is nothing left to discover, then you might be pretty flustered by consciousness conflicting with that worldview. It seems a safe assumption that most people interested in consciousness do hold the first view that there is much science does not know yet, otherwise they could already explain consciousness and their explanations could be demonstrated scientifically. On the basis of the assumption that the universe must hold many unknowns left for science to discover it is possible to continue associating the 'vast pool of energy' with 'consciousness':
1. SOMETHING has to explain consciousness, unless one takes the view that consciousness does not exist or that it is unexplainable but since those would simply be opinions argued from ignorance and against the evidence they can be dismissed as unscientific. So we start looking at the physical phenomena we know and the historical record of human knowledge gained so far to try to make sense of it.
2. The universe IS filled with a vast web of crisscrossing light, obvious on any starry night.
3. Experiments with the Cassini Effect do show that there is 'zero-point' (or whatever it may be called) energy popping in and out of our existence constantly but without staying long. This would suggest an existence outside our own where the zero point energy resides when it isn't briefly in ours, unless you believe in energy arising from nothing. Physicists I've read seem to be in agreement that the zero point energy not only exists but in its own frame of reference its energy is immense, energies in empty space far exceeding the nuclear energies available in equal volumes of any kind of matter.
4. Einstein showed that as the speed of an object increases times slows down for it, and this has been proven by experiment. At the speed of light however time falls to zero, so light experiences zero time regardless of how many billions of light years of empty space it may appear to us to cross. In light's frame of reference no time passes and there is no such thing as distance, the universe is a point source as far as the light is concerned. Matter however can never reach the speed of light because its mass also increases with speed and at the speed of light its mass would become infinite, and that is a physical impossibility or the universe would have been destroyed by now. Matter is therefore always time-bound, including us as creatures made of matter. Light is all happening at once in its frame of reference, and that applies to every photon in the universe. It may be difficult for us to comprehend but it's true.
5. Every major religion of the world holds holy some reference to God as Light and every prophet and yogi and other enlightened soul in history from Jesus to Yogananda has in one way or another spoken of God as Light, the Light within us, et cetera. You can discount religion all you want and while they mostly deserve it when they do all have something in common it is worth considering; not any particular religion's special superstitions but that which they all have in common, God or Allah or Cosmic Consciousness or Divinity or Father Son Spirit or Greater Intelligence or whatever it's called it doesn't matter, what does matter is that they all reference some higher consciousness than our own that is associated with light. While there is no objective scientific proof of any such higher consciousness yet, there is sometimes subjective proof presented to people that later tell about it, and from this we do have evidence that there might be such a thing. It cannot be disproven and atheistic arguments are just as faith-driven as the most evangelical ones, the only completely rational hardcore position to hold in the absence of any personal experience with higher consciousness is simple agnosticism: you just don't know one way or the other. That's okay you don't know what the very center of the earth really looks like either. So the common element that is in all religions should be considered with at least the level of respect that is generally given scientific speculation about other unknowables like the origin of the universe (e.g. Big Bang) and the interiors of black holes for example, as those are completely unprovable areas of potential knowledge as compared to many first-person accounts of encounters with higher consciousness.
6. Light interference patterns can form holograms and holograms can hold information and programs even with just our present knowledge and technologies, consequently that 'vast pool of energy' commonly called zero-point energy must be undergoing interference of its own and forming an interference pattern or patterns of some kind filling the entire universe at very high energy densities. And somehow doing so all at once in its own frame of reference. The safest assumption would be that our present understanding of light interference and holography falls far short of fully explaining all of the potential interactions there must be in the zero-point energy, wide as the universe and spanning not only all of space but all of time as well. We may be like ants trying to understand the workings of a nuclear reactor, a little humility is required. It is not unreasonable to consider that the higher consciousness which every religion and enlightened being has referred to as Light exists in the 'vast pool of energy' which has been identified by science and called zero-point energy.
So that's the Logical Leap from the 'vast pool of energy' to a higher consciousness, then follows individual consciousness:
1. There are endogenous photons emitted from all cells tested so far.
2. There exist mechanisms for those endogenous photons to be conducted between cells and to form dynamically resonant interference patterns in the brain's ventricular spaces and possibly in some surrounding tissues. Those patterns would be dynamically resonant with the brain's electrical events, being shaped by the electrical events and in turn able to influence them.
3. Interference patterns formed by endogenous light in the brain would be time-bound to the brain's electrical events but being light, like all other light in the universe it would also exist outside of our time-bound frame of reference in its own timeless frame of reference and able to interact with the interfering light in the zero-point energy. Our own endogenous light then in this model is a "nexus" or connection point for a bit of the higher consciousness in the zero-point energy to inhabit our brains and bodies.